CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, January 4, 2008

Second

December 5, 2007 - Wednesday
Last night my friend had to impart discipline on two kids for the same misdemeanors....one volunteered to go first because he was "badder" than the other one. I can't imagine what it took for a five year old to voluntarily go first in an event that he must have known would end with a small swat of corporal punishment. I don't think I would ever sign up for the first time slot....and then there was the second one. Who was in another room listening....and anticipating his own turn. Of course his first question when my friend came into his room was "why is the other one crying"? I'm sure in his mind he knew the answer, but was hoping against hope that maybe his brother was just so sorry about his behaviour that he burst into tears! Thats what I'd be hoping.

While I can't imagine volunteering to go first, I also would hate to be second. Second sucks. Or does it?

I can't seem to shake the idea of being second, or coming after or following. Is that always bad? Does it mean that we aren't good enough to be first? To have gone first, be picked first? What about second chances? Are those just for people that screwed things up so badly the first time that they need a do over?

I don't think so. I think sometimes being second can be good. It means that everything you learned the first time or if you were wise, from observing those who went first, can be integrated into your turn or your chance. We don't always get to be second or have a second chance....so what I have been thinking is that second is good...second needs to be better than first..or at least better than the first time around.

No matter what it is.

0 comments: