CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, May 13, 2008

A Little Creepy...and Disturbing!

Maybe it's just me. Maybe I have somehow lost the understanding and appreciation of children's literature. The pure whimsy of it. Don't get me wrong, the story here in my 6 year olds reading book is wonderful. Very funny. Thought provoking. Some good critical thinking opportunities.

But Poppleton as seen below, is only partially dressed. For some reason this is incredibly perplexing for me. Many a children's book has been written with clothed animals. Not disturbing or peculiar to me at all. Some books contain animals au naturale...again...I embrace the authors choices.

The partially dressed Poppleton disturbs me. Maybe its his glowing pinkness. Possibly it is that his legs, with cloven hooves stretched taut, seem very "ham-like." Did the author vacillate about how to showcase Poppleton in the best possibly light, to ensure capturing the children's attention and imaginations?



He certainly succeeded in capturing mine. I feel embarrassed for Poppleton. Like he is somehow the emperor.....in half-clothes! I also feel compelled to tell him to not sleep on his back....not very attractive Poppleton! Maybe it's because of the recurring nightmare/paranoia thing about showing up somewhere without pants....kinda like Arthur did!

Anyway....my 6 year old absolutely LOVED THIS PAGE! (which in my opinion may be slightly concerning) He re-read it 3 times. Then he read it to each of his sisters when they got home! They all laughed hard.....and shared my views..."Poppleton seems a little creepy with only a night shirt on...where are his pants?"

As far as the reading of Poppleton went, Noah gets 5 stars...whizzed right through it. He told me tonight that you can say "the" 2 ways...."thee" or "the." He prefers "thee", "Because it sounds more interesting!" Very Elizabethan!

4 comments:

Krista said...

oh thank you for the pictures, you did a good job describing on the phone, but nothing beats a good picture! thee pig def. is creepy!

pwdrd donuts said...

I'll tell you why he's half clad. Cause he hot! Hellooooo Poppleton.

the laundress said...

ahahhahshshshhsahahahsnortahhahah

you make me laugh HARD PWDRD DONUT!

Carin said...

disturbing, indeed.