CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Being Still and other Hard Stuff

Late Saturday night when I was preparing my GracePlace lesson, (and by late I mean 1am), I had the first in a series of impressions about patience. I was teaching about Growth, and the whole idea of growing in our relationship with God and how in the process of that some things about how we live our lives change....or at least should change, while we allow Him to help us become His image here...where we live now!

Repeatedly I was reminded that to be a reflection of Him we choose to love even when its hard or with people who are unlovable, to be kind when we don't want too, to choose joy despite our circumstances, and to be patient....when we want to rush ahead and do things for ourselves, to sit and worry and wring our hands and become Chicken Little's, believing that what we want most will never happen...because its not happening NOW!

The second time the patience thing hit me was during worship on Sunday...before GP. We sang about being still and knowing that He is God....we sang about what happens while we wait....He makes us strong....and then we read a verse for Psalms 37....and of course I was all over the part about "delighting in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart." Oh yeah...I'm all about being delighted...(that is not sarcasm), I can honestly say that while I absolutely do not understand the what and why of life...I love that God is in it...doing what He does...you know...just being GOD!

So there I sat, a little smug, thinking about all the desires of my heart, (and obviously not about my selfish drifting), when this verse just like morphed off the screen....like in 3-D at me....."Be still before the Lord and wait PATIENTLY FOR HIM..."

I do an alright job of delighting in who God is....but in the being still before Him...and waiting patiently...NOT SO MUCH! The saddest part of that to me right now is, that I know this issue has come up before with me and God...this is not the first time that He has reminded me to be still...and patient. I'm starting to feel slightly obtuse here....and a little concerned that He might recommend me for Title 1 due to my lack of comprehension here on this.

I wonder what that would look like. Some more patience exercises....more things that I need to be patient about...more situations that require stillness....and listening. I had to wear the talking bib in 2nd grade once...(well, maybe more than that), and I'm thinking maybe God is considering something along those lines as well...some kind of reminder to not fill up all of my time with other stuff when I maybe need to be about being still and patient. Oddly, I was frustrated with someone recently about their lack of patience and need to just push along their own timeline, whether that is the right choice or not....and again, in that conversation, when I least expected it, God spoke to my heart and I was reminded....that I don't want to rush ahead of His plans, that waiting and being still and patient are good....that waiting for the right thing and not settling for less is always worth it in the end...no matter how hard it is in the process.

Right now, I'm waiting and being still in several areas of my life. It's hard. But I think I'm gonna make it....at least today.

8 comments:

Krista said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Krista said...

dear laundress....
you are the second person to hand me the delight yourself in the lord verse this week....where i get stuck is believing that even with patience he will give me the desires of my heart....i worry my heart and his aren't in sync....but i guess if you 'delight yourself in the lord' then one would assume the hearts would eventually align....one can only hope, hope, and hope some more.

Krista said...

btw...
i love you.

Our Family said...

i love that scripture...i think about it all the time.

i also think that the desires of or heart aren't the things that we can think up or put into words...kinda like a lost secret inside you that is revealed when you have truly surrendered....it's happened recently and i felt like i lived in a storybook...enchanted if you will. i couldn't have imagined it better myself....but it was familiar because it was from me inside me...yes this is my weird, spiritual, mushy side...enjoy it while it lasts!!!

loved the message

the laundress said...

btw...i love you too...and funny you should say that about hope, because currently that "all we got baby gurl!"

....oh yeah, and beer...we have that too!

PS...also...new opportunities await...

btw...have you worked with that one person who waited on you when you were on the phone with me...remember that one day.a.ahahhahahahahah

the laundress said...

whoa, katie...didnt even see that post...and you are so right about the desires of our heart...I'm currently thinking they are beyond anything I could ever think or imagine...wouldnt that be AWESOME....and so like God...

..here's to what is locked inside!

Krista said...

so does beer unlock it quicker? i'm just saying....

Krista said...

or more quickly?