CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, May 7, 2008

At the rivers edge

Last night I found myself needing to desperately clear my head....for a number of reasons....mostly the same ones I've been trying to get away from...so ANYWAY....the kids were all ensconced in American Idol, so I hopped on my bike and went for a quick 7 mile ride. And it was quick because I needed to ride fast and peddle hard!

On the trail I started to coast for a bit...and I came on this scene...beside the river. This man and woman were sitting there on a blanket, a bottle of wine and a couple of glasses....and they had their feet in the river....and they were washing each others(feet)...it looked like they were talking softly...they were LOOKING at each other...intentionally....

I don't know these people, but I could tell in my fleeting glimpse into their intimate moment at the rivers edge, that right now, they LOVE each other. The CARE for one another....they ENJOY each others company.....

I spent the next several minutes desperately fighting the desire to go back and intrude on their scene. I wanted to talk to them...to tell them to CHERISH what they have right now...to not let it go...for any reason...to not give up, because it won't always be like this, but to not ever take what they have for granted. I wanted to tell them that the LOVE they have is a gift....and it is fragile and can be fleeting...I wanted to tell them to never STOP looking intentionally into each others eyes....to never STOP talking softly.....

I didn't go back. Instead I just fell back on what I know to be better than any words I might ever say....I prayed. For them, for me, for others like us out there.

The kind of funny thing about it all was...that along with the honest words I wanted to share with them about cherishing what they have....I also wanted to say...."Whoa...dudes...do you realize that you are washing each others feet literally in "Shit Creek?" I mean, its a romantic gesture and all, but seriously....ECOLI!!!

All in all it was a good ride. My head was cleared....my body was sore and exhausted....and I discovered that my heart is only mildly jaded by my own experiences of late....

5 comments:

Krista said...

i don't know.....
i'm still pretty sure i wouldn't let anybody wash my feet in that nas-tay river......
that would take a couple of bottles of wine, not just one.
love you....

heather b said...

I used to sit by it on my "thinking rides" and stay a good three or four feet away...I was afraid I would catch something...anyway, your post is so beautiful...thanks for the reminder.

Our Family said...

it's the nasty you can't see that you gotta worry about!!!

glad you had a reflective ride.

i'm sure you'll have a chance again to appreciate intention.

Beth said...

That is kinda nasty just to be all romantic when tons of people are walking or riding by. Like they wanted to show the world! Weird! Maybe they had something to prove

Beth said...
This comment has been removed by the author.