CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, May 29, 2008

Interpretations

Soooo....sometimes I think hmmm...what are people thinking. Or rather, how is their interpretation of things so clearly different. Not right or wrong really...well, maybe sometimes, but just...different.

Take tonight for example. Someone offered me a beer. I asked, "Is it good beer?" and they answered, "Yeah, its good." So tonight I had my first, (and last) Miller Genuine Draft! Clearly not good beer. And also clearly not agreeing with me now!

Tonight someone looked at me and said "Oh, you polished your toes!", to which I answered "Yes, indeed I did." Later when I took off my new girly shoes...the same person looked down, chagrined and said..."I thought you said you polished your toes?" "I did....you didn't ask how many...I just did the 2 that showed in my shoes." (I little trick I learned from my BFF!)

Recently I had a conversation that was going to be continued "later".....I have learned that "later", or "in a bit" mean different things to different people. Some people think "later" means like in a few hours or a day or so....others perceive "later" to mean.....anytime at some point in the future...possibly weeks.....the same thinking goes for "in a bit." The time reference for those two words/phrases in clearly ambiguous.

I put in a job application a month ago...actually like 5 weeks. The manager said that they needed to hire some people quickly. He called today. To some people "quickly" means in a week or two, to others it clearly means "at some point in the future." Kinda like "later!"
Now I'm going to have to call the manager back and tell him that I still have a desire to work for his company, but I can't start work for "a bit."

Interestingly, I'm certain that coming from me, or from my perspective, that phraseology won't fly. I'm sure the job will no longer be available "in a bit", or "later." How unfortunate is that.

Anyway...here I am tonight, putting off my homework for a "little bit"....I'm also thinking about going up and rousting out a "good" malt beverage!

0 comments: