CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, June 26, 2008

The Recital

In the hectic hustle and bustle of graduation and all the activities that were attached to it, and then finishing up the accelerated spring semester of college, there were events and occurrences which just kind of melded into life without a second thought.

Today, as I was drinking my coffee on the deck, something reminded me of my nieces vocal recital. A little background is in order here. My sister in law has been a staunch NON-SUPPORTER of any extracurricular events or activities. No dance classes, gymnastics, softball....until last year when one of her daughters tried out for cheer leading...they were activity free. I am not expressing any judgement on this decision one way or the other, my nieces are very well rounded young women...my sister-in-law did not make that decision to be mean in any way....she would just rather poke out her eye with a spoon than ever have to sit in stands, or attend concerts or recitals. She admits and touts this frankly, openly and with no apologies! When she has been invited, over the years, to attend my children's events, she has cordially and politely declined. Never once have I held this against her or judged her for her honesty....if I was more honest...who am I kidding...I just say it openly when attending...most of those events are eye poking and painful for me as well.

ANYWAY...back to my story...this year my nieces auditioned and were accepted into a musical/performance group called BJ Songbirds. Their end of the year event was a couple of weeks ago...my sister-in-law called about the event, the girls invited us...the SIL assured me that it was quite entertaining and enjoyable!

She neglected to tell me that at BJ Songbirds, they also give vocal lessons and this was the end of the year recital for those students as well! Can you say BAIT AND SWITCH? Once I realized what I was in for, my SIL was sitting smugly beside me stuffing down skittles like an addict!

Most of the evening was PAINFUL to say the least. Many young and old men and women want to be vocal stylists, but many should just be ok with being in the chorus, ya know. Seriously, as I was sitting there I thought, do they not hear themselves? Along with, if their coaches were indeed kind and loving folk, they would kindly and lovingly tell them to maybe try track or maybe curling next season!

...then "the girl" came on stage. Quite cute, seemed sure of herself, smiling at her coach offstage...music starts....first couple of notes a wee bit shaky....then blamo...forgot the words, forgot the tune, looked to stage right at coach, covered her face with her hands, began crying and started to bolt off the stage! I sat there thinking...(and I realize that this seems harsh) "Seriously, suck it up..you put in a lot of time practicing this song, you paid a load of money for these lessons...suck it up and finish the song!"

Her coach met her at the edge of the stage. She wrapped her arms around the girl who's head was on her shoulder crying. The coach picked the song up, singing strongly into her own headset while she walked the girl back to center stage. (in my head, and maybe out loud to the SIL, I thought/said..oh, my gosh, give me a break...stop being so dramatic). But as the song continued, the coach kept singing...never once taking her eyes from the girls....the whole time she was encouraging the girl to join in, and she did...several times...singing strongly a time or two...while looking into her coaches encouraging face..seeing her smile and nod...

The whole scene took on a different feel for me. The coach continued to love and support and BELIEVE in this girl..even when she was pretty much screwing up the thing she had worked hardest to do...probably over a very long period of time. And while it appeared to the girl and the audience that the girl had failed...big time...the coaches face and look did not express this at all. That girl knew, without a doubt, that her coach believed that she still had the best in her...that she was still amazing...that she was still valuable and still had a song to sing. The coach was holding her up, singing her part, when she couldn't...being strong when she couldn't be...and just waiting to turn it back over because she BELIEVED that eventually the girl would be able to sing the song on her own again.

How many times have my friends and people who love and believe in me done the same thing? How often have I returned that gift? Prayed when I couldn't. Believed when they didn't. Taken care of things when I didn't have it in me. Stood beside them no matter what.

The coach may have spent all year trying to teach that girl how to sing...but the best the best lesson she taught was on that stage....standing in the gap, until the girl was strong enough again to stand and sing on her own!

4 comments:

Our Family said...

Geeze...what do you say to that???

First of all, I would need a massage and my back cracked after just witnessing an event such as that. Man that shit tenses me up.

Second...I can think of about 3 people that I could NEVER sit next to because they would make me "church laugh" until I cried.

Way to pull a lesson out of that one...although I saw it coming. But thank goodness you did..and a good one at that!!

the laundress said...

dude...I was eyes forward sitting next to the SIL...because of the performances and her duping me into attending!

...the really curious thing is, I didnt see it coming...I thought during the whole thing that all I would have to post about the event was the horror of most of it!

heather b said...

here's the deal. i was to close the show at the elementary school spring program in 6th grade by singing "Climb Every Mountain" ....my first performance with more than 100 people attending.....i started singing "edleweiss" instead and my teacher Ms. Farmilo....looked at me from the piano, cocked her head and yelled "WHAT??" with some serious shock and distain. Needless to say, I rushed out of there crying, and one of the 6th grade teachers found me on the other side of the school in my classroom under my desk. I was mortified and decided right then and there, I didn't care if people thought I had a good voice. I WAS DONE SINGING PUBLICLY!!! so, Mr. Cassell (God rest his soul) with his coal black rug on his head (I always wondered why I couldn't see skin in his part...) climbed under there with me and talked to me about courage and that was what "Climb Every Mountain" was about and that he knew I had it in me. I walked back onto that stage 5 minutes later with him along with a good dose of fear and trepidation and sang as best as I could. I believe it was my first and ONLY standing ovation ever.......

Here's to those loving individuals in this world who help us believe in ourselves....GREAT STORY....you made me cry....

Our Family said...

okay now i feel bad....