CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, June 24, 2008

How often

Recently I had a conversation with a friend and he posed a question something to the effect of "How often are we just going through the motions of the expressions of our faith and how often do we get it messed up....and how do we learn or practice or just live in the relationship?" And do we really know what that is....to not be going through the motions? (That isn't exactly how he said it, but a paraphrase from my perspective)

Over the last few days, that idea of how do I separate my relationship from the One who loves me and created me to love Him, from the expectations of others who see faith as something expressed in large part by participating in the "busyness" of church life. Right now, I am stepping a little away from the busyness, and honestly, I think it is a good thing. I am realizing that my relationship with Him has been clouded by what I percieve others expectations are from me. Recently I had a conversation with a friend who has been steeped in the observances of religious life....the services that are attended, the places she shops, the things she needs to boycott, the satelitte network she uses....even her attitude in labor...she actually talked about being in so much pain and her husband was kinda being a little less than empathetic, and she wanted to yell at him or something, but she said "I was a good christian example for the nurses, and I just kept it all inside."

Is that what this life and relationship is about. In order to be a "good christian, or good christian example" do we have to stuff things all inside? I tried that for 19 years. And yeah....not so much! Over the long haul of things, I don't think that was what God expected or wanted or demanded of me. I think somewhere along the way, some idea or some other persons expectations of what a "good christian example" is got in and screwed up what He wanted from me all along. I am not saying that He doesn't want us to express our faith at all...or even be a part of a larger body of followers...but He wants the relationship to come first...and everything else to fall into place as He leads and guides my heart.

He has never intended for me to stuff things in, or to be phoney in any way. He wants and loves the real me....(which does not give me free license to be coarse, raucaous and inappropriate...or even to follow Brittneys lead of "Whoops, I did it Again) He wants openness, willingness to be out there...living my life with other people who don't know Him....He wants me to be real and honest with other people on this journey. I want the relationship but right now, I am trying to figure out how to not mess up other peoples ideas or expectations of how the expressions or observances of my faith look. Because in yet another conversation, with yet another friend, she said something to the effect of "you are such a good person, you're so much better than I am...I just rarely make it to church." Bluauaahahhahghghghgg!

Rising up out of my chair I nearly screeched at her....."are you kidding me? Being in church or at home in my garden doesn't have any bearing on how good I am! And especially in comparison to you...seriously! She had said this after we had talked about praying...and how for her it is just something she finds herself doing constantly, like an ongoing conversation! (Sounded very like she had things right) And if only she had been in my head recently while I sat in a service....well...honestly the things in my head....well...if I had been in that ongoing conversation, maybe they would have been different things! A good thing that came out of that services though was something said from the pulpit...or actually the runway...but the speaker said something similar to what my friend had said earlier in the week. He said "How often do we get the principles, but never know the person of Jesus? How often does that happen and to how many of us? And why have we let it continue for so long?



Right now, in this place in my life...I'm wanting very much to make sure I have those things in the right places, and order. Just a few things





8 comments:

Our Family said...

Good words...

I hate to hear stories of christians in bondage, like your "labor friend." It really pains me.

I'm confused though about the example setting part??? I'm still trying to make sense of that....I'll read again.

Our Family said...

"I want the relationship but right now, I am trying to figure out how to not mess up other peoples ideas or expectations of how the expressions or observances of my faith look."

Ummmm not to be harsh but you sound like labor lady here.

How is that statement any different from this...

"I was a good christian example for the nurses, and I just kept it all inside."

Or maybe that's what you were already trying to say...?

Our Family said...

i'm really facinated by this post...seriously. this ones got me thinking.

have you tried liturgical dancing...i would find it difficult to question such an expression and observance of faith.....maybe to the tune of whoops i did it again???

sorry...it's after midnight...and you know what they say about that!!!

the laundress said...

Katie, please, allow me to clarify, lol

Other people often see the expressions of my faith and mistake what I "do" as examples of what it really means to "be". My question or issue is more, am I perpetuating the notion that is all about the rules an regs and not the relationship....I don't want people to see how often I attend or how involved, or whatever and equate that with what it takes to be "good".

Actually this is turning into another post, but I don't think like the labor lady, I don't often do or say or participate in anything and think "this will be a good example for people", I just do what I do....or at least try and follow His lead, but it drives me nuts when other people twist it. ( I think I just said that), does that make sense. I don't want to become like the labor lady...I guess that is partly what I'm saying...I just want the relationship....and the rest to be an unhindered, un effed up, normal life that He uses to touch other people without them feeling like "the church lady" is in their life.

but now you've made me think...maybe in trying to not be like that, I am like her a little. btw...I told her that if she would have truly wanted to be a "GCE" she should have just chewed her husband a new hole, told him he was a selfish bastard for getting her knocked up to begin with and to never come near her again. Then they would have known better that "christian wives" do not equal "stepford wives"

the laundress said...

and by "touch other people", I dont mean "touch"...you know...just like "touch or come into contact with"...well, not really that either...but you know...I don't mean it like creepy touch, like as in a "good touch, bad touch" film strip for 2nd graders!

Just saying

Our Family said...

hahahah.okay...i get it!

i hope it doesn't annoy you that i'm questioning you...

i was honestly surprised by this post last night. only because i feel like your posts and thoughts ARE the conversation. also the relationship that you have with others and your children(as prtrayed on a blog:)..to me, is an example. A REAL ONE...one that I relate to and I'm sure one that others relate to also.

i was just surprised that you worry about that....like your too wise for that...that's what you strike me as anyway:)

the laundress said...

katie...stop annoying me!


AHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAHHAHASNORTAHHAHAHHAHA

Krista said...

WTF! katie's my friend!
ahahahhahsnortahahahhahaha.....
i feel like i'm totally missing out on these good conversations by just posting fluff.....
anyway.....