CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, June 21, 2008

The event

The event is over. And now, in the aftermath of what turned out to be a lovely day with many of the people who love gradzilla and us in general, I have a rare evening of relative solitude to look back on the events that brought us to and through today.

Only one week ago, in a last ditch effort to make the house "presentable", my living room was looking a little like picture l and 2.....and finally, after what seemed like no time, my dear friend had transformed my otherwise "jankey" living room into picture 3's inviting space. At one point today, while it rained for a bit, this room looked curiously close to what I imagine the "red tent" was like in ancient Jewish tradition. Seriously, almost every woman and young girl here were packed into this room, lounging and talking and laughing!

Last night, on the eve of the big day, when most people in my family would be frantically cleaning and doing other sundry preparations, I threw caution to the wind and just had fun with these two special women in my life. (pic 6) We painted our toenails, some of us sucked down way too many Mexican ales, and laughed, talked, spoke truth, expressed shock and loved each other unconditionally!



The preparations kicked into high gear when these three women arrived about 12:15 to "run" the show. They gave up their days today to help serve my guests, to make sure that the food didn't run low, and to infect others with their smiles! Seriously....look at these women smiling...I only wish I could record Paula's laugh on this blog....its very akin to an infectious cackle! Love these women!

And then, before I knew it, the party had ended. The last of the guests had left. Most of the cleaning up had been done. I looked out at the road and saw this pile....the spoils of the day! Nothing says "a good party" like 25 bags of trash and two full recycling bins! Currently, I am incredible thankful that I have a one- price- takes- all plan with the garbage men! This day could have put me into a serious financial crunch otherwise!

Going back into the house, I looked into the backyard and caught sight of the empty tent with tables, absent of cloths and centerpieces, chairs and people, and a wash of melancholy seeped over me. I feel a little like Steve Martin in the opening scene of Father of the Bride....exhausted from the work of it all, emotionally spent from the love that seemed to be every where I turned, and realizing that in the aftermath of this day, is the end of this chapter for Thing one. The graduation festivities are officially over...and she is officially on her way into the next chapter of her life.
Fortunately for me, I was able to be fully part of this day with her and for her. Even as I write this, I am listening and answering questions that she and her two BFF's are asking from them counter...as they stuff themselves with leftovers. The summer now awaits us...full of lots of exciting new prospects and adventures....and the memories that will linger from this incredible day....that took months of memories to get too...I wouldn't change a thing!





4 comments:

Our Family said...

goosebumps carolyn.....

and then laughter and grinning while remembering my own 'post grad' summer...whoa!!!

ahhh, what a blessed event..you did GOOD!!!

the laundress said...

dude, katie...I am on my game in the "post grad" summer patrol...

....the night of my open house alone makes me cring and laugh and be thankful for His protection in retrospect...

thanks, it was a good day...you would have had fun here I think...maybe next go around...I have 4 more to do!

heather b said...

Looks like all went WONDERFUL!! Your house is really really pretty. That room turned out amazing...that little helper of yours always has had quite an amazing gift!!

I hope your last few months with your sweetie will be good ones. I too remember post grad summer and I think it was the free-est I ever felt. Hope all is well with you. Enjoy your time with your BFF...it was fun to see her...Just so you know she was up and showered by 8:30 a.m. and on her way. We didn't keep her AT ALL!!

Beth said...

I forgot to leave you a comment on this......your party was great, the food, the set up, the clean and beautiful house. It rained a little and that didn't even phase you. It was fun! A total success!