CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, December 20, 2008

The Search

One would think, ne, even assume, that in an abode that houses 4 girls, that a person could easily and readily lay hands on a PONY TAIL HOLDER!!!

But noooooooo. Not in this house. Not this person. Last night as I was quickly trying to sweep my 4 inches of overgrown gray and 4 inches of split fried ends into some semblance of a festive coife, I found myself in need of two pony tail holders.

I began my unhurried search in the bathroom drawers where such items are kept. NONE! Moving on, I searched all the girls dresser tops and ledges next to their beds. (This is a no brainer...they all take out their bands at night) NONE!
Next I moved on to the couch cushions. Everything gets dropped down there, and I have found several there in the past whilst cleaning. EMPTY! At this point I was getting a wee tad frantic, as my ride was coming shortly. I was also beginning to feel just the very tiniest bit of panic sweating beginning......not good with my freshly made-up mug! I rifled through back packs, old purses, junk drawers, and jewelry boxes! ZILCH, NOTHING...NADA! I began to miss the days of barbies and barbie cases, (whose very existence I cursed while that phase was here, and celebrated grandly when the last blond diva with too tiny shoes was gone)Barbies always had extra pony tail holders in their hair or being used to festoon their long ball gowns into skimpy club attire.

You know how it is when you can't find something that you want. How somewhere during the hunt it suddenly becomes a life necessity right up there with food, water and shelter? This is where my need for the afore mentioned hair ties had transitioned.

In a last ditch effort before I moved on to plan B, which may have included kitchen shears and a bowl, I went into the lone boys room. I dumped out his ginormous bucket of trains....and frantically sifted through the rubble.

In a house with 4 teenage girls, I find it curious that the place I scavenged up not one, but TWO pony tail holders, was the 7 year old boys room. The seven year old boy with a BUZZ CUT no less! You see, this estrogen overpowered kid is the McGyver of trains. While trying to load logs and steal on flat beds, he was having difficulty keeping his stacked product on the cars. He needed "ratcheted tie downs." to hold his loads. His mother told him they didn't make them for wooden toy trains, and he would have to just put fewer logs (crayons) on so that they would stay. NOPE! I remember the day he took me by the hand to show me his solution. "See those loads mom?" he said. "Ponytailers work just like bungees...now I'm all set to go eastbound to Chicago."

And now I'm all set to step out for the night.

7 comments:

Kelly said...

you make me laugh hysterically!! Keep up the good work. I need and love the entertainment.

Ever thought of being a stand up comedian?

Carolyn, I wish you and your family a VERY MERRY CHRISTMAS!! Thank you for being such a great BFF to my seeeester.

Krista said...

this was even better than being on the phone with you when you at last found them.....

missing you....as always.

Beth said...

How come I didn't see your hair in piggy tails last night? Thanks for coming to the party! I really enjoy my friendship with you and am glad you are a part of my life!

Our Family said...

not even the couch cushions?? that's insanity!

i can't come up with anything clever that would have worked in a jam exepet that i could have actually done your hair.

Carin said...

a new pack of hair ties goes quickly around here...one by one, they're quickly lost...until that last one. then it's fought over every morning.

savannah couldn't find any clean socks the other day and had to cut the feet off a pair of tights...LOL

they're catching on to my ways.

hail to macgyver.

hdbl said...

oh my gosh i'm laughing so hard right now.

i have secret stash under my sink for desparate times you talk of.

however, i once used a piece of elastic off of a tag on a bath and body works gift set. you know what i'm talking about?

it snapped in the middle of the night and i cursed my girls under my breath when it happened. hahaha

i'm also lmbo at the makeshift socks. now that's impressive.

pwdrd donuts said...

Bread bag twisty ties. Unless you weren't wearing green.