CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, December 19, 2008

The concert

I have been looking forward to this concert for weeks. It has become a tradition in our family, as we have choralaries in our midst. This season kick off concert is comprised of The Band, The Orchestra, and the all of The Choirs. Mingled together with ensembles, trios, duets and solos, the evening NEVER FAILS to set the mood for Christmas week for me.

This year the evening opened with an orchestra medley of sacred caroles. I was over the edge with "O Come, O Come Emmanuel". I was able to regain a modicum of composure for the next three or four numbers, but alas...The Drumline. Caught me totally by surprise. The auditorium was surrounded by 20 or so percussionists, snares, basses, xylaphones, and a myriad of others I can't name. The hair on my arms (and yes I admit, my legs as well) was standing on end. It was absolutely incredible, and I was an emotional mess. Savannah, sitting next to me, texted me, and called a DQ while she was laughing. My dad sitting on the end of the row had his hankie out. I'm afraid I may need to start bringing my own to such events.

Pushing me over the edge was Fiona's solo. She came out on the main floor, center, with a 40's style mic in front of her, and slowly and confidently began singing The Christmas Song. It was over the top. I have heard her sing often (duh, as we live in the same house) but this was amazing, and more chilling than the drum line....when she sang the last line ...merry Christmas tooo youu...she was looking right at me. I don't know if it was intentional, but it effectively pushed me over the edge. I am so incredibly proud of her. She has an amazing voice, effortless for her to sing anything.

The concert finished, and after coming home and winding down, I laid in bed thinking about how I have gotten caught up in the hustle and bustle of the season, and have not taken much time to slow down and just live and soak in the season. To be the season to the people around me.

Today I'm in. There is a huge blizzard, a snow day.....and the weekend and week ahead stretches before me with lots of time available to remember why we celebrate this time of year.

O Come, O Come Emmanuel....and Merry Christmas too you!

4 comments:

Krista said...

a. modicum?
b. DQ?
c. WTF?!
d. crying
e. she has an amazing voice
f. glad you're in
g. i love you
h. missing you much

Our Family said...

drama queen....krista

goosebumps. i can feel the music. i love live christmas music. especially when i have to stop long enough to listen to it. i always feel like "I'VE DONE IT AGAIN", rushed around unconsciously this season, and now here it is, the reason. next year I WILL appreciate you more Jesus(i do have some respect, capitalizing Jesus and all!). anyhow that's what a christmas concert/music does to me.

the laundress said...

a. small amount
b. damn queef
c. sorry
d. missing you too
e. very much
f. love you

Katie: maybe they should do a pre-season concert..to help set the mood!

Beth said...

I loved the concert too! Your daughters voice is incredible you most "definitely" should be proud!